Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:52:24 -0500
From:      MetcalJM@utrc.utc.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: Need to fix permissions on my system, and build statically lin ked tar.

Hello,

I have two questions:

1.  I understand that 'make world' builds my entire system from the
source
tree.  In the process, it obviously sets the file modes on everything
it builds.  Is there a way I can run a portion of 'make world' that
would
just change all the file modes of every file it would normally build,
without having to fully recompile the system?

2.  I would like to build a statically linked, stand alone version of
/usr/bin/tar with full functionality.  You know, like the executables
you find in /stand.  I have the full 2.2.2-RELEASE source files, and
a complete system.  Can I just set LDFLAGS="some set of flags for ld"
in tar's Makefile to do this?  If so, what might that set be?
If not, what else should I do?

Thank You,

JM
-------