Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:11:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALT key problem with Virtual Box?

On 29 Jun 2013 16:24:57 -0000, Scott Ballantyne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Windows 7 under VirtualBox 4.2.6_OSE, and it seems the ALT
> key doesn't work. I need to use Photoshop, and there are a few
> operations that require a combination of holding down the ALT key and
> using a left-mouse-button click.
>
> I've googled and found reports on Linux from 2011 of this problem, but
> none of the solutions I've tried have fixed the problem. I'm using
> Gnome as my window manager, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Maybe this is the reason. Several window managers are using
Alt + left mouse key for a windowing operation (usually moving
the window without requiring dragging it by the title bar).
Check if you can "unconfigure" this setting in Gnome's window
management preferences.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany