Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2004 03:30:30 GMT
From:      Neil Short <neshort@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/68469: All recent versions of FreeBSD fail to boot on newer Compaq/HP laptops

The following reply was made to PR i386/68469; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Short <neshort@yahoo.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

 Here's some more information as I have the same exact
 behavior with an HP Pavilion zv5000z.
 (This data was also submitted to the freebsd-mobile
 mailing list.)

 This computer came with a free upgrade of one of them
 universal flash digital media card readers. I'm
 wondering if there is some conflict there.
 Anyway, I tried booting OpenBSD 3.5 on this box and it
 had trouble too; but it gave some useful information
 as to the "why." I'll transcribe it here (by hand.)

 cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) XP Processor 3000+
 ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class) 1.60 GHz
 cpu0:
 FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2
 real mem = .....
 avail mem = ....
 using ... buffers/memory
 mainbus0 (root)
 bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(c2) BIOS, date 04/30/04,
 BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfd750
 pcibios0 at bios0: rev. 2.1 @ 0fd750/0x860
 pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev. 1.0 @ 0xfdf10/208
 (11 entries)
 pcibios0: no compatable PCI ICU found: ICU vendor
 0x10de product 0x00d0
 pcibios0: Warning, unable to fix up PCI interrupt
 routing
 pcibios0: PCI bus #4 is the last bus
 bios0: ROM list: 0x0000/0xfc00 0xd0000/0x4000!
 0xd4000/0x1000

 Hope this helps.

 note also Jeff Connelly's comments on
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/67745
 and note that another similar report is at
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/66401