Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:07:58 +0100
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD
References:  <200810091411.m99EB0Vo007538@lurza.secnetix.de> <20081010023428.87556dt18ejyzf48@mail.ispro.net> <20081009200641.60d0b236@bhuda.mired.org> <48EF5052.2000707@ispro.net> <20081010144111.GA34609@icarus.home.lan> <20081010112952.52b8209b@bhuda.mired.org> <20081010154249.GA35859@icarus.home.lan> <20081010122228.355c2c3e@bhuda.mired.org> <E1Koboa-000CyO-8l@cs1.cs.huji.ac.il> <20081011104409.GA58698@icarus.home.lan> <E1KocK0-000DEX-PV@cs1.cs.huji.ac.il>

On 11 Oct 2008, at 12:07, Danny Braniss wrote:

>>> so can Freebsd boot off a ZFS root? in stable? current? ...
>>
>> boot0 doesn't apply here; it cares about what's at sector 0 on the
>> disk, not filesystems.
>>
>> boot2/loader does not speak ZFS -- this is why you need the /boot
>> UFS2
>> partition.  This is an annoyance.
>>
>> For the final "stage/step", vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:mypool/root" in
>> loader.conf will cause FreeBSD to mount the root filesystem from ZFS.
>> This works fine.
>
> so the answer is:
> 	yes, if you have only one disk.
> 	no, if you have ZFS over many disks
>
> because I see no advantage in the springboard solution where ZFS is
> used to
> cover several disks.
>
> I'm asking, because I want to deploy some zfs fileservers soon, and so
> far the solution is either PXE boot, or keep one disk UFS (or boot
> off a USB)
> Today's /(root+usr) is somewhere between .5 to 1Gb(kernel+debug+src),
> and is readonly, so having 1 disk UFS seems to be a pitty.

ZFS boot is coming. Currently its part of pjd's perforce branch and
supports disks, mirrors and collections of disks or mirrors with the
only restriction being that enough drives in the pool must be
accessible from the bios (i.e. at least one element of a mirror must
be seen by the bios).

Currently we don't support booting from raidz or raidz2 pools but
there is no fundamental reason why that can't be added - someone just
needs to implement the code to understand the raidz layout.