Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:49:55 +0200
From:      Olivier Cortes <olive@deep-ocean.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD MAIL TOASTER CLUSTER

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:45:31PM +0200, Fabrizio Ravazzini wrote:
> Hello all,I have to realize a Mail Server
> (Pop3,Imap,WebMail) for about 4000 people.
> I decided to use FreeBSD 4.3 with
> Q-mail-Vpopmail-CourierIMAP-SQWebMail, but I have a
> problem.
> Is it possible with FreeBSD to make a "cluster" of two
> machines (ix86) that when one goes down for some fault
> the other takes care of the service so that Mail is
> still available?

i've got NO experience in clustering FreeBSD, but you could build a
Third machine wich exports NFS for the two that will serve POP/WEB...
the NFS server will serve only disk access, and would be not likely to
have problems (it could be on a local net, insensible to probes and
attacks).

if someone gets the point of my idea, i will greatly appreciate
comments on it because i'm in the way of building such a config (at
home for now).

in a global way, some tips about how to make more FreeBSD servers
cooperate will be appreciated too. One (or more) URL would be cool.

regards to the gurus :) (and others too)

olive

---
Olivier Cortes
free software admin