Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 12:22:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyes01@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: What to include in hardware compatibility list?

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> One possible approach is to simply have a list of hardware that works
> with FreeBSD without any special installation procedures. This does not
> mean that later on we could include other hardware. The possible

Although it looks good to just have a large list of hardware that
work, given the realities of the PC industry, having a list of
hardware that is known NOT to work is pretty valuable.  We should
probably collect records for both working and problematic
hardware.

> by it. The possible advantages of this method are that we could have
> more complete/usefull information and only need to ask users once to
> fill out forms about their hardware configuration.

It would be nice to have some separation between the basic
hardware info, and the commentary.  This could allow multiple
people to add their own comments/experiences.  (just make sure it
doesn't degrade into a series of "This fimblewhizzer card is
AWESOME" fallowed by "Get real! Its a piece of crap!")

> -Computer:make,model,cpu,cpu speed, amount of RAM

I think this one may prove problematic.  It shouldn't be
dispensed of because it may be the best thing for "name brand"
computers, but I a lot of people either have no-name
computers, or ones they have put together themselves in which
case "make" and "model" don't work.  For those, a "Motherboard"
might be better.  Also, I'd throw in a few attributes such as
bios vendor and revision (eg AMI, OPTI), chipset (eg Triton),
busses (eg ISA, VESA, PCI), and possibly some others.  From
reading the mailing list over the years, this level of detail
seems to be important and particularly useful for people building
custom systems just for FreeBSD.

> -Use of computers and how many clients are supported

This will need some more detail as well.   I'll think about this
one...

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================