Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 10:19:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Hovemeyer <daveho@roo>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail questions

Howdy sendmail gurus,

This is at least sort of FreeBSD-specific.  I am sending mail
from a FreeBSD box that is intermittently connected to an ISP
that dynamically assigns IP addresses.  When my mail goes out,
I would like sendmail to change the address in the "From:"
header from "daveho@roo" (my local username and hostname)
to "Hovemeyer_D@mediasoft.net" (the address of my POP3 account
at the ISP).

Right now I am using a "Reply-to:" header to at least insure that
replies come back to the right place, but I would like to have
the "real" headers be correct instead.

I looked at the sendmail FAQ, which mentions the "user database"
feature of sendmail to allow rewriting of From: headers.  Is
this feature enabled in FreeBSD's sendmail?  (I am using 2.1.0R.)
I tried the canned example in the FAQ, and it seems to have no effect.

Assuming that I can use the user database, will it do what I want,
maybe in conjunction with the "DMsome.domain" masquerading feature?

Any insight appreciated.

Dave
--
"Everybody dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful."
	-- They Might Be Giants