Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:20:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        rich@oester.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org, "G.R.Gircys" <rich@oester.com>
Subject:   RE: adaptec 154X support

On 18:32:45 "G.R.Gircys" wrote:

>have a fine ole dx2/66 board with adaptec 1542B (older style with
>jumpers) - worked flawlessly with bsdi for 2 years - now moving to
>freebsd and find that during 2.1 install (usually while copying floppy
>resident files) system either hangs or panics (virt screen 2 messages
>about scsi bus locked).
>
>so i try a newer card - 1542 C/CF series - works great.
>
>does freebsd support the older adaptec 154X A/B? in my caseseems the
>answer is no.

Have you fiddled with bus timing on the Adaptec cards?

Along the same lines I have a 486DX33 that has worked fairly well with
SCSI for several years. Until the first of the year. It started trashing
files that were not being written to. Tried BIOS settings. Tried the
Adaptec 1542CF settings. Tried another 1542CF, disk drives, UltraStor
14F, even finally got desparate and tried MS-DOS. More or less the same
with everything, while everyting worked on other systems.

Decided the MB was broken. Pulled the SCSI card and its current uptime
is about 75 days now. I hate PC's. Wish it would break good and proper
so I could put it out of my misery. That box really nees a P166 in it,
but then I might feel like the 640x480 256k VGA card would need to be
replaced...  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net