Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:31:40 +0100
From:      Christian Lackas <c.lackas@kfa-juelich.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hw.ata.ata_dma="0": can I do this during bootup at the loader prompt?

* Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org> [041209 15:59]:

Hello,

> > It would be nice if I can set hw.ata.ata_dma="0" at the loader
> > prompt during bootup, so that the system at least will boot from
> > harddisk. Is that possible?
> Yes, that's possible.  Drop the loader to the prompt and do the following:
> set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
> boot

btw: I have a similar problems, but not with the boot disc, but one of
my data drives, thus I want ata_dma enabled for the other discs.

I have to dispatch a

    atacontrol mode 1 foo UDMA33

to set this drive (slave on second controller) to UDMA33 (otherwise it
would use UDMA100). But I have to do it before /etc/rc.d/fsck starts
accessing the device. Right now I've added above line to the beginning
of aforesaid script.
Is there a nicer/better place to tell the kernel (don't like editing the
rc-scripts).

Best regards
 Christian

--