Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:24:31 -0400
From:      Richard Morse <remorse@partners.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with MySQL since upgrade

Hi!  I recently updated MySQL to version 5.0.22 using the ports
system (portupgrade -r -R mysql-\*).  Previous to this, MySQL was
behaving perfectly normally.  Since the upgrade, I have found that
every so often -- sometimes two or three times a day, sometimes every
other day, but no more often than that -- one of the databases MySQL
is hosting starts misbehaving, MySQL starts climbing in processor
usage, and I have to restart MySQL to recover.  By "misbehaving", I
mean that some subset of queries to this database start not returning
-- they take forever.  By climbing in processor usage, I mean that my
load averages, which normally sit around 0, start going up to 3, 5,
even 7.

- How can I determine what query it is that is causing this to
happen?  I have turned on the log files by adding the following line
to /etc/rc.conf:

mysql_args="--log=/var/log/mysql_query.log --log-error=/var/log/
mysql_error.log"

but these log files don't seem to contain how long a query took, and
I can't even tell if the query that is misbehaving is making it into
the log file.

- Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing this problem?

- How can I fix it?

Thanks,
Ricky Morse