Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 10:59:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Oct 20 snap install...

I had a slightly more eventful than desired installation of the October
20 snapshot.

For a variety of reasons, I needed to expand my dos/windows partion.
Previously I had an IDE disk split between dos and FreeBSD, and a SCSI
disk for FreeBSD (swap and /usr/local).  With the reorganization, I
wanted to make the IDE disk all dos and the SCSI disk FreeBSD.

Fine, After I figured out that I had to enable the host adapter BIOS on
my Adaptec 1542C, booteasy allowed me to select the second disk for
booting.  However, the kernel was convinced that it was booting from sd1,
not sd0 and thus paniced when it tried to mount its root filesystem.

I made a new kernel that specified the root device as sd0.  It still
didn't work.  Finally, I looked at the biosboot code to figure out what
the command line switches meant and got things working by typing -r at
the boot prompt.

So:

* Can the boot prompt switches be document in a useful place, i.e. at
  the boot prompt?

* Can I set things up so I can boot without typing -r every time?

* Why does the kernel think it is booting from sd1 anyway?

Other comments:

* The "progress bars" in sysinstall often overshoot the right border of
  their box.

* What exactly is the intended action of "Undo all" from the
  slice and disklabel screens?  I got terribly disoriented when
  selcting that option.  If the intent is to undo all actions
  performed on *that screen*, it should undo them, but remain
  on that screen.  If the intent is to undo *all* slicing and labeling
  then it should return the user to the main menu.
  I don't recall exactly where I ended up, but it wasn't anywhere
  I expected.

* The difference between FTP active and FTP passive needs to be
  documented on the media selection help screen.

and gobs of other comments but those can wait for 2.2.

-john

(And now, with my adaptec bios enabled, my dos network drivers won't
load!  Grrr...)

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============