Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:54:35 -0500
From:      "Louis Munro" <louismunro@altern.org>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Choosing a video card - Nvidia or ATI

Greetings O repository of knowledge and wisdom...
I have been building myself a new computer in the last weeks and I am =
now almost done except for choosing a video card. I have been reading up =
on the matter but some things remain confused after reading through both =
this list and xfree86.org, namely what support I might expect for things =
such as accelerated graphics using either an Nvidia or ATI chipset.

These are the cards I am considering:=20
- Asus V9520 TD (nvidia GFX 5200)
- Asus ATI Radeon 9600 SE
- MSI GFX FX5600XT-TD128=20

I had tought that the ATI chipset was unsupported (at least until the =
release of Xfree86 4.4) until I read of someone using a Radeon 9600 on =
this list. At the same time I don't see any mention of the nvidia =
Geforce FX on the list of supported drivers for xfree86. Is that because =
it's simply covered by the "Geforce DDR" category or is it still =
unsupported at this point?
So based on actual experience and knowledge, what can I expect from =
these three? I might be willing to forgo 3d acceleration if I can get =
decent performance as 2D for general window managing and such as the 3D =
functions are probably going to end up being used to play games running =
Windows anyway.=20
Both the Asus V9520 TD (nvidia GFX 5200) and the Asus ATI Radeon 9600 SE =
support a second VGA output. Has anyone had any experience using that =
function? I have an old monitor which I would press into service if it =
works.

Any advice is welcome. I'm still a recent convert to FreeBSD so things =
that may be obvious to others might not be so to me ;~)

Louis