Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:50:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      <morrildl@nycap.rr.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross building Alpha on an i386

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> I can't seem to find a prior message in the mailing lists about this
> problem.  A cross build with MACHINE_ARCH=alpha on a FreeBSD/x86 system
> fails:

In the Linux world, the gurus say that you can't cross-build for the Alpha
from a 32-bit system with gcc.  IIRC (which is unlikely :) it's got something
to do with gas not being equipped to deal with 64-bit pointers and
instructions on a system with 32-bit registers.  (Doing a cross from 64-bit
to 32-bit archs works.)

My understanding is that this is a gcc/gas thing, and not a Linux thing,
so that may be your problem.  On the other hand, I'd expect that they built
Linux on the Itanium as a cross from IA32, so maybe gcc's been fixed and
I'm wrong.

Just a possibility...

Dan Morrill
...standing ready to be corrected by those who know more. :)