Date:      07 Aug 2002 23:54:49 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/40003 - panic on boot in ata-disk.c

--=-n8BEBZzriRQDfnfJzpq5

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 23:46, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I don't want to pester too much, but a few folks with "@freebsd.org"
> addresses are telling me I should until I'm either asked for more
> information or to stop. :)  And I'm not saying who...
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D40003
>=20
> Just want to re-state I'm willing to supply any info needed.  I can
> probably even work out remote access to the serial console if that helps.

I encountered this same problem after buying a new Maxtor ATA133 drive.=20
The problem turned out to be a bad harddrive.  I returned it to CompUSA,
got an identical one, and that worked without a hitch.  Not sure if it
will be the same for you, but the symptoms are very similar.

I even saw the same messages when I backed down to 4.5-RELEASE.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks,
>=20