Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:06:37 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.3.0 / Xft font problems

--Boundary-02=_B/Le+X9wogEpDZI

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 16:27, Jason Andresen wrote:
> Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> > "Regular" xchat 1.8.11 and gaim 0.59.9 look fine.
> > Mozilla built without Xft (-DWITHOUT_XFT) looks ok (menu bar
> > looks good, as with other apps) but not great (displayed
> > text looks "ok" but not very good).
>
> Mozilla uses whatever you have configured in the preferences panel as
> the font for the menubar IIRC.  Try changing your font from serif to
> sans-serif.
>
> Additionally, you're probably having trouble with the antialiased small
> text.  You might want to try creating a /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf
> file with the following lines:
>
> <!-- Fontconfig local overrides -->
>
> <match target=3D"pattern">
>          <test qual=3D"any" name=3D"size" compare=3D"less_eq">

On a related note: I have observed that "pixelsize" matches better than=20
"size". I use a similar .fonts.conf (and before that, I used a similar=20
=2Exftconfig with the old syntax) to turn off antialiasing for a specific=20
size-range, and when I use "size", seemingly random fonts in random=20
applications are not matched (in some applications, for instance kmail, the=
=20
same font at the same size is rendered antialiased in one widget, and=20
unantialiased in another!).

=2D-=20
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock