Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:23:13 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: let's get something straight.

Hey Brian,

I didn't notice anyone 'jump on' you - in fact all I can see in my
listing are two replies to your original request. Maybe I'm missing some
:'/ Sometimes I think so {sigh}

> REASON:  I want documentation about real-world differences.  benchmarks,
>          direct comparisons (i ran FreeBSD and Linux side by side and this is
>          what happened, whatever)  go search the web for FreeBSD vs. Linux.
>          75% of it is religion, and the other 25% is "it's better because
>          i say so." but no proof.  no documentation.

Ok. I think one reason no-one has presented 'hard-cold-facts' is because
it's hard to nail down. What is the "application" involved? Indeed, such
a comparison will probably differ from company to company. You know
already about Micro...uh... HotMail and Yahoo and of course Walnut
Creek.

Perhaps you should take aside two identically configured machines, load
Linux on one, FreeBSD on the other, and run them side-by-side gathering
stat's for your new company's application. Do the comparison. Hey, maybe
Linux is better suited to it than FreeBSD.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that for every
conceivable application suite, FreeBSD is better than Linux. Heck, even
the Linux distro's differ in their capabilities.

I use FreeBSD because I like the order which is inherent in a small team
doing the releases, rather than the seemingly chaotic Linux release
policy. This is not to say that it actually _is_ chaotic, it just
"seems" that way to me. :')

Yes, it will come to personal opinion. And I expect that the 'old-guard'
Linux'ers will be less-than-enthused at the "new boy" coming in and
trying to change to (<tongue-in-cheek> obviously superiour) O/S :')

Enjoy your new job. I started here in APril this year, and I am still
having a blast. Well, execpt for having to get icky-NT-goop on my hands
the last couple of days.

Regards,

Harry