Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2018 16:39:11 +0000
From:      B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems Connecting Laptop To Modem

I have several computers connected to my Internet service, though not
all at once.  One is an old iMac with an outdated version of OS X.  i
also have two towers that run FreeBSD/Mate and a laptop that has
FreeBSD/Xfce.

A few weeks ago, the router I had malfunctioned and I got a Cisco
modem/router from my ISP.  All of my machines could connect to the
Internet through it, but the signal wasn't very robust.  The slightest
disturbance to the system, such as shutting down one of the computers,
would result in the loss of that signal.

i went back to my ISP and exchanged that unit for one made by Arris.
I can add or remove computers from it without any problems except for
the laptop.  It can't seem to connect to it, at least when it's
running FreeBSD/Xfce

For example, I tried:

service netif restart

followed by pinging a website, but that didn't work.

The Ethernet connector appears to be good.  I tested it when I booted
the machine using a live CD version of an old openSUSE distro that I
happened to have on hand.

I'm not sure what I should try next.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?  I could, of course, contact my ISP, but its staff,
apparently, isn't given any training on Linux and, presumably, Unix
systems.

To be honest, it's not all that important if I can't use the laptop
right now as I've got the two tower machines.  The laptop is more of a
convenience than anything else.

By the way, the only reason I've got Xfce on it is because it couldn't run Mate.

Thanks.

B. M. Jatzeck