Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 22:44:54 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD format for backups ?

As Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> - use the partition (/dev/wd0f or /dev/rwd0f ?)  as the source for the
>   CD data
>
> then in order to read the data I would only want to mount /dev/wcd0c as
> FFS instead of cd9660 -- any hope that it works ?

Well, UFS is currently still a little iffy when it comes to devices
that are not using 512 bytes blocksize.  So, ``it depends''.

> And also, should I use the char or block device ?

Use them as their names suggest: the raw device for writing raw data
(i.e., reading from your harddisk), the buffered device for mounting
filesystems using the buffer cache.

--
cheers, J"org