Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:48:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Teemu Korhonen <teemu.korhonen@mbnet.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: growfs and soft updates

>> (ffs_valloc: dup alloc). After plenty of 'fcsk -y' I got it fixed while
>> losing few random files. :( The errors were mostly related to soft updates.
>>
>> Should soft updates be disabled before using growfs?
>>

> False alarm. It's all the same with soft updates disabled.. I guess growfs
> needs some work.

ALWAYS fsck after growfs.

growfs is crappy at least, zero out the new space before growfs, but just
if you can - simply backup data somewhere and use newfs.

growfs is for people that like challenges ;)

i have to use it growing 800GB filesystem to 1400GB, finally (after
patching it a bit) i did it, but root directory was destroyed (no idea
why). all subdirs appeared in lost+found so it wasn't a big problem
then+i've got zero sized file in lost+found that i was unable to delete
until i took off all strange flash with chflags.

but i did it ONLY because i had no way to back it up.