Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:23:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        kjayesh@in.ibm.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

kjayesh@in.ibm.com wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> hi....
>      I have some queries regding device drivers in FreeBSD. Which mailing
> list should i post the messages
> to ?

It depends. The pat answer is "Read the list charters" (see below). If you
have a general user question about installing a device driver, configuring
a device, or loading a kernel module, -questions is probably a good bet.

If you plan on writing driver code for new (not yet supported) hardware,
you will want to track -CURRENT, read freebsd-current, freebsd-hackers,
and freebsd-hardware. -hardware would probably provide the best forum for
general questions about hardware implementation and support.

-hackers is a good forum for discussing intimately technical system code
issues, including, I suppose, driver coding.

Send a message to majordomo@freebsd.org, and put (for example)

	info freebsd-hardware

in the body of your message. I get the freebsd-hardware list charter:

--

FREEBSD-HARDWARE                General discussion of FreeBSD hardware
General discussion about the types of hardware that FreeBSD runs on,
various problems and suggestions concerning what to buy or avoid.

END OF COMMANDS

If you are not already a skilled systems programmer, and you are looking
for general information on "how to code/port a driver", etc., you may not
(see http://www.freebsd.org/search/) for questions of a similar nature to
your own.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon