Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:38:48 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        mike@chaski.com (michael dorin)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: number of apache virtual servers

>How many apache virtual servers can you have going at once?
>
>-Mike

We have almost 200 running here. I have heard of some sites with 1500.
The limit you tend to see is either with named/gated and the number
of interfaces they see or with the allowed number of open files.

If you have a error and access log for each virtual host you have
you may run out of open file descriptors quickly. Note that
the error messages you end up getting are completly unintuitive
as to what the problem really is.

I ended recompiling everything with FD_SETSIZE set at 256.

Have fun.

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com