Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:08:44 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability of shm, mmap, pipes and socket IPC

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
> :>     The problem is that linux updates the timeval structure on return,
> :>     telling you how much time is left.
> :
> :Yup. I wish FreeBSD did that - the man page already states that one
> :shouldn't rely on tv not being modified, so it shouldn't break POLA.
> :
> :DES
> :--
> :Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no
>
>     Ick.  It was a disaster.... and the feature is overrated anyway.  I
>     was actually heavily involved with linux back in those days and I used
>     this select() feature myself, but the disadvantages outweighed the
>     advantages by an order of magnitude.  It really isn't all that expensive
>     to do a separate gettimeofday() system call.

I implemented it on FreeBSD back in 1996 or so but gave up in the end.
The biggest offender was the libc RPC code, but there were a constant
supply of things that mysteriously failed.  It was a real nightmare trying
to track down and locate them.  There were things using timeouts of a day
or a week or so, and would gradually reduce the timeout as select chipped
it away and after a week or so things would mysteriously start running at
a 100% CPU tight loop around select().  I don't think I have the code
anymore, I lost it during an accident while working on poll() and never
bothered to restore it from backup.

> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>