Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:26:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 02:30:42PM +1000, David Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 02:21:27PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> On a partly related note, a future XFree86 release will put config files
> (like xdm config files for example) in a directory hierarchy below /var
> (most likely /var/X11).  It is possible that future X11 releases from The
> Open Group will do this too.  This will make it easier to use a read-only
> /usr/X11R6.  None of this has been set in stone yet, so if anyone has
> any comments about this, please let me know.

Well, at the risk of the lives of a few protestants, why /var?  My
reading of /var is that it is for frequently changing files, such as
spool files.  I agree that it would be nice to have a read-only /usr,
but I think it would be worth giving a bit more consideration for the
new home of the config files.

Greg