Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:33:08 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome_upgrade script question

On Monday 14 November 2005 12:20 pm, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> I have a spare 6.0 computer on which I ran the gnome_upgrade script.
> My g** .. 47 ports were deleted amongst which are very big ones like
> mozilla and all of KDE. This will take me a very long time to
> rebuild. And this only because glib2 is changed?
>
> I don't like this at all. It's a brandnew 6.0 system..
> Is it really neccessary to rebuild all of KDE??
>
> If I don't want this which ports do I have to set "on hold" in
> pkgtools.conf to run a "normal" portupgrade once in a while without
> getting into trouble?

You needed to use the -p option which would get packages if it can. If
you upgrade early, you need a cpu with considerable power. The problem
is being patient long enough :).

I have an AMD 2400+ XP and it had to build the gnome stuff and the new
release of kde-3.4.3. It took a while :). However, I had packages on
it, that I could move to my other 5.4 computers, long before they had
packages on Marcus' tinderbox, which is where the gnome_upgrade.sh
script, which came along about 10 Novermber, gets the gnome packages.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA