Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 20:29:21 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip-aliasing and X, a fix! sortof...

At 10:18 PM 3/1/97 -0800, John Utz wrote:
>Hello everybody;
>
>	I have found that it is possible to toss up displays on my fake
>network from outside  clients using ijppp+Aliasing-1.9 and dxpc-3.4.0.
>
>	The dxpc compression utility evidently turns X-packets into
>standard ip type packets ( i guess ) and then ships them out. This allows
>them to be shipped via the aliasing feature. So all one needs to do is
>start the two dxpc processes on each end.
>
>	Then it all sort of just works...
>
>result? a xload initiated on 128.95.120.1 shows up on 10.0.0.1! yippee!

If you run ssh, forwarding should happen automatically.  I'll see what I
can do about other protocols, but it is not too easy - everything that
forward environment variables would have to be changed.  You could fairly
easily set up a proxy on the server, though - if you want to do this
(instead of running securely with ssh) talk to me about getting source.

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org