Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:47:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shegonee@ix11.ix.netcom.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gud-mode: gdb inside emacs

shegonee@ix.netcom.com asked:
% I have a program compiled with the -g option. When I run gdb inside of emacs
% it starts gdb fine but doesn't open a second window with the source code
% in it. Is there anything else I need to do to get gdb inside emacs
% to run and open a second window with the source code file in it?

Use M-x gdb to start gdb.  When you get the gud-mode window up, use C-x
2 to split the window, and C-x b to switch the current window back to
your source file.  Now, if you set a breakpoint and run the program,
when the breakpoint is hit, you'll see a '=>' pointing to the source
line in your source window.

Grog replied:
> I suppose that this depends on how you started it.  If you do M-x gdb,
> it should prompt you for the name of a program to run.  You enter the
> name of the program, and it opens a new buffer the same window.  When
> you start running the program, it opens a new window in the same frame
> with the source code.  You should then be able to enter gdb commands
> in the gdb window (which will be called *gdb-<program name>*) and look
> at the source in the other window.
>
> Although I'm a great user of both Emacs and gdb, I find that the
> combination doesn't work very well.  I prefer to run gdb from an
> xterm.

I find gud-mode quite usable with a large X screen, at least 17" and
1024x768 pixels.  Anything smaller just doesn't give you enough info
in the gdb and source windows.