Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 22:05:13 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reliable probing techiniques for isa bus?

> mdean wrote:
> >
> > If I have an isa card which occupies 16 ports but only uses 9 of them, I've
> > put in some debugging code to see what can be read from the card at boot
> > time. The read/write ports are random depending on what the card in
> > connected to, the control ports are write only, and so I am only left with
> > the other 5 ports on the card that aren't used and the pattern they are in.
> > Is it expected that you will always read 0xff from an unused port, because
> > that is what I am getting?
>
> welcome to the pleasures of ISA
>
> there is no answer..
> yes the ports will read ff
> they will also read ff for any other device that does not use them :)

I don't think you can count on bus float to read as 0xff. Its a tri-state
bus, not an open collector bus. If nothing is driving it then anything
is possible.

I don't have an ISA book handy, but I have seen pullup resistors in places
that suggest bus termination. But if they are terminators they are just
as likely to be both pull-up and pull-down at the same time.

One way to tell the difference between a Genuine Apple II and clone
Franklin Ace was to read an unconnected address. An Apple II would
still have the last 8-bit value shifted out the video floating in
the bus capacitance. There were those who used this to sync code to
video.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net