Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:48:48 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        Ken.Monville@FergInc.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux

John S. Dyson wrote:
> I have added it to my signature line: how do you like it? :-).
>
> --
> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid, and
> jdyson@nc.com         | it irritates the pig. :-).

Looks good.  I believe, as another user pointed out, this is a quote from
the character Lazarus Long, from Robert A. Heinlein's _Time Enough for Love_.

My .sig came from a horrible software development project I worked on a
couple of years ago.  Another engineer and I were given the task of
completely rewriting a 200,000 line (or so) video routing switcher (as used
in TV stations) to perform 40x faster, RIGHT NOW.  It took use nearly a
year, but we got it done.  We ended up with 66,000 lines of rather nicely
structured C++ that had most of the functionality of the original, and a few
features you could *never* implement in the original.  We both quit when our
employer decide that rather than use this code as the basis for a new release,
they would just shelve it as a custom one-off.  Doh!

So anyhow, I walked into my office one morning and my partner in crime,
Mark Matthews, had written this on the top of my whiteboard.  It stayed
there until I left the company 9 months (and nearly 3600 hours) later.

http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                 softweyr@xmission.com