Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:35:00 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I think I understand how I stay STABLE now, without a lot of hassel! correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I've worked it out finally.

I updated from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.2-STABLE using cvsup. src-all, ports-all and
doc-all. But I have been wondering about this, because even if you do
another cvsup on a daily basis, new files will be pulled down.

I'd been thinking 'how can one do this - it would need a complete build
every night!!!'

Of course it doesn't - silly me.

What it does mean is that even if one does a cvsup on a weekly basis say,
then the _sources_ are always up to date, and IF one then needs to do an
update/upgrade/kernel build whatever, then one is always using the latest
sources. Now THAT makes sense. So I can go ahead an set up a cron job, that
simply calls the cvsup/supfile say once a week.

Everything works fine now. I had a brand new Acer keyboard - and it simply
would not be recognised by the start up. Put in an "old" keyboard, and away
it went no worries. I still haven't found out what the probelm is with the
keyboard stuff, but I know I'm not the only one with this probelm !!! That
needs looking into.

but 4.2-STABLE is sure the bees knees.  Now to find out how to bring my
2.2-SNAP server up to the same level !!!

bc