Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:47:22 +0300
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Anders Nordby <anders@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Serious problem with RMI on jdk15

On Oct 9, 2008, at 4:35 PM, Nikolay Denev wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have the following problem : when I connect to a jmxremote enabled
> application with jconsole the whole VM crashes with segmentation
> fault.

[...snip...]

> I'm running amd64 7.1-PRE from yesterday, and the jdk is
> jdk-1.5.0.14p8_3,1
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolay Denev

I think I've tracked down the problem.
The JVM crashes when one requests the TotalPhysicalMemory from the
OperatingSystem bean.
The strange thing is that Sun specifies this value as "long", but how
this can work on 64bit machines with many gigabytes of memory?

What BSD patchset does is read the hw.physmem sysctl, which returns
unsigned long, and then cast it to jlong and probably this is where
the problem is.
I've tried disabling the sysctl and hardcoding the result and my JVM
does not crash anymore.
Jconsole still does not show anything though.... and the same test
program produces info when used with the diablo-jdk15...

Regards,
Nikolay Denev