Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:58:40 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   burncd blank/erase/fixate seize all ATA I/O

When I am running burncd's blank, erase, or fixate, it seizes all the ata i/o
on the system.

For example, if I try to merely to an

   ls -R /

while blanking a CD, there will be *no* output from the command whatsoever
until the blanking operation is completed.  Burning the actual data on the
CD, even at 4x (the maximum at which I can burn CD-RWs), is no problem: the
machine is quite usable and the CDs come out fine.  But the
blanking/erasing/fixating are just deadly to the use of the machine.

Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do?  Is there anything that burncd
could do?

I have tried playing with the DMA settings for both ata and atapi, but it
make no difference.

PS:  On the other hand, *reading* from the CD seems to be a lot friendlier to
the rest of the system with

  hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

Am I setting myself up for trouble using this?  Anybody know why

  hw.ata.ata_dma: 1

is the default but the atapi_dma defaults to 0?

PPS:   Particulars:
Dell Inspiron 8000.  Builtin CD-RW/DVD drive.
atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xbfa0-0xbfaf at device 31.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ad0: 45780MB <IC25T048ATDA05-0> [93015/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: CD-RW <TOSHIBA CD-RW/DVD-ROM SD-R2002> at ata0-slave using WDMA2

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------