Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 1996 16:39:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        ping@stepnet.com (Ping Mai)
Subject:   Re: Q: scsi parity error?

As Ping Mai wrote:

> exact error message:
>
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND info:c53a0 asc:47,0 SCSI parity error, retires:1
>
> i like to know if this is a problem with the drive hw, or am i doing
> something wrong.  if it's a drive problem i need to return it to quantum asap.

It's usually a problem with the drives.  I used to have a similar
problem with an older Seagate drive, but only after replacing my old
mainboard with its BusLogic Bt742A EISA controller with an NCR 53c810.
I finally gave up fighting against it, and simply didn't log the first
error.  (The first retry did always succeed, so other than a slightly
reduced throughput, there was no ill side-effect from this.)

--
cheers, J"org