Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:59:25 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ: best currently supported sound card?

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > Didn't find a pcm(4) man page, as I'd hoped for. But did find Luigi's
>
> not committed yet, it is in my sources though
> (http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd980607.tgz)

Wonderful! I'll have to go look.

> > Darn it! No synth(4) man page either. And I can't find it in
> > /dev/MAKEDEV. Was thinking about making a 300 baud modem (transmit
> > only) and a synthesizer would be Just The Thing. Apparently I'm looking
>
> cat'ting your file to /dev/audio is also an option!

The strawman that got me thinking a sound card would be good for this
application was when I realized I could have 256 precomposed sound
files, each of an 8 bit character, complete with start and stop bits.
Then send each character simply by pushing the appropriate file out
/dev/audio.

Then thought it would be even better to "compose" each character for a
synthesizer.

> > Netsurfing failed to turn up definite sources of Crystal CS423x based
>
> AOpen AW35 is one (and pretty decent i think).  YAMAHA OPL/SA2 and
> OPL/SA3 (isa-pnp) are other good ones. The problem is that most of
> these cards claim SB compatibility as a feature and forget to say
> what they really are :(

Demonstrating further ignorance, most cards have an FM synthesizer but
some have a wavetable. Wavetable seems to be a feature promoted over
FM. Haven't sorted out whether the desired cards are bound to FM due to
the chipset or if wavetable is a viable option. Back to my modem
thinking the wavetable might be easy to preload with my character set,
then simply play the desired "notes" in appropriate order to send the
data.

I too noticed most vendors stopped at "SB Compatible" in their
description. Was thinking of launching an education campaign emailing
them for more details such as the chipset. Gee, who would by a computer
which only claimed to be "PC Compatible"?

One thing is for certain, the company that gets my business will have
posted more information than, "SB Compatible".

Find it a bit hard to believe I'm sweating this hard over the purchase
of a $25 card. Oughta just buy 3 or 4 different ones and try them all.
OTOH there will be a whole lot more sweat involved to get it to do what
I'm thinking of.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com