Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:16:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help for the weary? (SCSI CDROM issues)

Perhaps this should go to -questions; I'm not sure.

I'm trying to install 3.3-RELEASE on a new system I'm putting
together.

I've got a SONY CRX140S (on sale at CompUSA last week) - it's supposed
to be a nice SCSI CD-RW.  I'm putting this on an ASUS P2B-DS; which has
an on-board Adaptec AIX-7890 Ultra2 SCSI.

Ok - that's all well and good.

And, in fact, the CD-ROM boots up the kernel just great!

I partition/label the disk, etc... no problems.

Then, it comes time to do the installation and...

I hop over to VTY-2 to see what's going on and I see a lot
of cpio messages about "Junk" being skipped (instead of the
expected file names scrolling by.)

I take this to mean that I'm not reading the CDROM correctly.

I tested the CD-ROM on an existing aha-2940 system - works great.

This system has SCSI connections on board:

	1) 68-pin Wide SCSI connector
	2) 50-pin Narrow SCSI connector
	3) 68-pin Ultra2 SCSI connector

Of course - the 50-pin is what's running to the CD-ROM,
with connector #1 (68-pin Wide) running to the SCSI disk.
That's all the SCSI connections I've got...

I've tried just about every permutation of SCSI termination
I can...

So - my question to the -stable list:

	1) Has anyone installed 3.3-RELEASE on this motherboard
	   (the doc is dated July, 1999 - so it may be too new.)

	2) Is there something `funky' about the SCSI connectors
	   I need to be aware of - for instance, you can't have
	   both a wide and narrow bus running at once, or something
	   disappointing like that.

	 - Thanks! -
	- Dave Rivers -