Date:      Mon, 20 May 2013 16:02:08 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        "=?iso-8859-1?q?Cl=E9ment_Hermann?= \(nodens\)" <nodens2099@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: High CPU interrupt load on intel I350T4 with igb on 8.3

On Friday, April 26, 2013 7:31:07 am Cl=E9ment Hermann (nodens) wrote:
> Hi list,
>=20
> We use pf+ALTQ for trafic shaping on some routers.
>=20
> We are switching to new servers : Dell PowerEdge R620 with 2 8-cores=20
> Intel Processor (E5-2650L), 8GB RAM and Intel I350T4 (quad port) using=20
> igb driver. The old hardware is using em driver, the CPU load is high=20
> but mostly due to kernel and a large pf ruleset.
>=20
> On the new hardware, we see high CPU Interrupt load (up to 95%), even=20
> though there is not much trafic currently (peaks about 150Mbps and=20
> 40Kpps). All queues are used and binded to a cpu according to top, but a=
=20
> lot of CPU time is spent on igb queues (interrupt or wait). The load is=20
> fine when we stay below 20Kpps.
>=20
> We see no mbuf shortage, no dropped packet, but there is little margin=20
> left on CPU time (about 25% idle at best, most of CPU time is spent on=20
> interrupts), which is disturbing.
>=20
> We have done some tuning, but to no avail :

If you have the processing_limit set to -1, you should never see CPU time=20
spent in the igb task threads (any such time means there is a bug).  One su=
ch=20
bug was fixed in 8.x here (that is after 8.3):

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D235553

This may not help with any issues in pf(4), but we had workloads at work (n=
ot=20
involving pf) where this bug could cause boxes to spend 100% CPU in igb=20
threads.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin