Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <hummel@www.buffalostate.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   slow telnet

Hi,

I'm connected to the internet at 14.4. Yes, I know this is extremely slow.
The thing is, it seems like wu-ftp and apache are very responsive to
outside connections. The problem is that telnet is very slow coming in or
going out. Connections are from/to Red Hat Linux, Digital Unix, VMS and
NT. I really don't expect high performance because of obvious things like
crappy old phone lines etc. There does seem to be some disparity, however,
between the performance of telnet as opposed to ftp and http all things
condidered.

I can live with some key lag, but I often have to wait five or more
seconds for any response at the other end. I have disabled tcp_extensions
which is about the only piece of advice I could find in the mailing lists,
and network traffic  to my machine is pretty much null.

_Any_ advice on what else to do about this will be appreciated even if
it's  "you can't do anything" or "get a better connection". If, however,
there is a configuration trick or two that I'm ignorant of, this is even
better :) - Just give me a hint on where to start looking.

Thanks,
Dave