Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:34:33 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data corruption in cd9660 on FreeBSD 4.11?

On Fri, 2005-Jun-24 22:31:06 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
>I'm experiencing data corruption when reading CDs and DVDs on FreeBSD 4.11.
>So, can anyone suggest any more tests I could try?  Or is there a kind of
>hardware fault that could cause this substitution of whole blocks read from
>CDs without causing any other problems?

You might like to post the relevant sections of a verbose boot - the
ATA and CD probes.

Are you running the CD/DVD drives in PIO or UDMA modes?  In the former,
the CPU is reading the data from the CD and writing it to memory.  In
the latter, the CPU tells the disk controller where to write.  It could
be instructive to change modes and see what happens.

Have you tried anything other than ISO9660 filesystems on a physical CD?
What happens if you just dd the CD-ROM?  What happens if you use a vnode
mount (see vnconfig(8)) of an ISO filesystem sitting in a UFS filesystem?

Anything unusual in your kernel config file?

Have you tried building a kernel with WITNESS and/or DIAGNOSTIC?

Any chance of you repeating the tests with a 5.x system?  Maybe
on a spare small partition or using a 5.4-RELEASE disk1 as a live
filesystem.

--
Peter Jeremy