Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:52:02 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Arnvid Karstad <arnvid@karstad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with FreeBSD - causing zalloc to return 0 ?!

--==_Exmh_-1042506552P

If memory serves me right, Arnvid Karstad wrote:

> We've been troubled by "Fatal trap 12"'s for a little
> while now. The machine was running 4.6 perfectly, until
> I decided to try a cvs up to RELENG_4_6 about a week ago.
> Then it started to crash alot, we went back to RELENG_4.
> And there were no problems there. But then we decided to
> send in an error report http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=42046
> and went back to RELENG_4_6.... After going through alot
> of testing, kernel testing, and other funny things we
> decided to end the testing and go back to RELENG_4...

(For those who haven't seen the PR, there's a fair amount of
documentation, including backtraces with debug kernels.)

Just a wild guess:  vm_zone.c revision 1.30.2.5 was committed on 12
August.  Any chance that this might be relevant to your problem?

This is quite perplexing because almost all of the changes between 4.6
and today's-head-of-RELENG_4_6 were in userland...the kernels should be
almost identical.

(As mentioned by private email, I'm primarily a docs person, so YMMV.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1042506552P

--==_Exmh_-1042506552P--