Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:07:30 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        1mazda1 <1mazda1@phoenixdsl.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD writers - recommendations

On 27 Sep 2000, at 15:06, 1mazda1 wrote:

> Q. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cd writer?
> Ya any Plextor that is SCSI / look at any of the reviews...
> make sure it has a good size read buffer

You are not the first to recommend Plextor (people I know on IRC
mentioned them to me).  The other I've seen recommended is the Ricoh
Internal 6/4/24 SCSI, so I'll be looking into that one too.

> Q. I'm told SCSI cd-writers are better than IDE under FreeBSD.
> Any SCSI device is more efficent than IDE devices because
> SCSI devices run from the SCSI BUS which is not the same BUS as the CPU
> thats because it has taken off the load from the CPU and therefore leaves
> more processing power..

I've also been told that IDE cd writers under FreeBSD are a problem.
What problem, I don't know.  Anyone have any clues?
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/