Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:56:52 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        sid@merlin.com.ua
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw fwd

[ ...possible resend, mac.com timed out on me the first time... ]

sid@merlin.com.ua wrote:
> does anyone think, what fwd is side feature,
> and we are using fwd because we do not have
> enougt route options ?

That's perhaps a reasonable opinion.  :-)

> why we cant write
> route add NETS1 for USERS1 gw 1.1.1.1
> route add NETS2 for USERS1 gw 1.1.1.2
> or route add from *** to ** gw ***
> or route add from any to NETS fwd ***
> ?
> if it will be done, what yet reason to use fwd ?

The normal IP routing table only makes decisions based upon the destination IP
address.  The IPFW fwd command can make decisions based on many other
criteria, such as the sender IP address, port # or protocol, etc.

However, there are also some ports will handle other routing mechanisms beyond
RIPv2, such as OSPF and BGP/EGP: quagga, zebra, etc....

--
-Chuck