Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:31:53 +0000
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        David Wood <david@wood2.org.uk>,  Aldas Nabazas <freebsd.stable1@gmail.com>, ambrisko@freebsd.org, scottl@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Perc 6 disk geometry problem with RAID5 (both 6.3 final and 7.0 RC1)

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:48:56PM +0000, David Wood wrote:
>> [ambrisko@ and scottl@ added to CCs]
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> In message <9c1614e00801200608k49195944mf241b7b0aa6a48@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Aldas Nabazas <freebsd.stable1@gmail.com> writes
>>> We bought a new Dell PowerEdge 2950III with Perc 6/i and have the disk
>>> geometry problem using 6.3 final or 7.0 RC1. Seems that we are not alone at
>>> least one guy has similar problem reported earlier:

This post is related to using BSDLabel and FDISK MBR partition tables
with a disk over 2Tb.  This is a known limitation of this type of
partition table where the max size is 2Tb.  If you wish to make a larger
partition you must use GPT or the raw device with no partition table
(Not recommended!!!!).

>>> I was reading the mailing list and found that some of the people are happily
>>> using this hardware with the latest FreeBSD:
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039675.html
>>>
>>> I just wonder what the status of mfi driver? Maybe it's not fully tested or
>>> there will be some important fixes before 7.0 final? We are going to try
>>> different RAID combinations but it definitely not working using 6x146GB as
>>> RAID5.
>
> I do not know if the mfi(4) driver has any problems with large disks, but it
> is however well known that fdisk(8) and bsdlabel(8) (the tools normally used
> to partition disks) have problems with volumes larger than 2TB.
>
> If you want to use volumes larger than 2TB then gpt(8) is the recommended
> way to partition the disks.  It is however doubtful if the BIOS in your
> system will allow you to boot from a gpt(8) parttioned volume which is
> best solved with having a separate - smaller - boot volume where the OS
> itself is installed.

I have 5 PERC6/i based systems awaiting deployment atm, might be able to
do some very limited testing on one of them if time permits.  However I
have some very large arrays running on PERC5/e's (6TB Raid 50 - 5 disk
spans - 15 * 500Gb disks spread over 2 md1000 shelves) (the systems run
RELENG_6_2) and have not seem any issues with them.  They are a single
gpt partition with UFS2 on them.....  As far as I have seen in the last
~8 months there have been no issues with the mfi driver and large
arrays.  However I cannot say at this stage if the same can be said for
the PERC6/i.....

>> This is extremely disappointing to read, as I was relatively close to
>> buying a Poweredge 2950 III with PERC 6/i. However, it's no good to me if
>> mfi(4) has issues with large virtual disks; the tentative disk
>> configuration is 2x146GB as RAID 1 and 4x750GB (or 1TB) as RAID 5.
>>

>> Looking at CVSweb:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/mfi/

There is one related PCI ID's change to do with DELL sub vendor id's I
think that is only on HEAD.  Any chance of getting this MFC'd?

Tom