Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:24:53 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Joseph Kain <joseph@3dfx.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: linux_glide

In <4F7525F7D14CD211AABD00A0C9DED901035CBE68@exchange2.3dfx.com>, Joseph Kain wrote:
> Hi, I'm an engineer with 3dfx and I work to support developers and to
> support 3dfx's linux driver packages.
> I am trying to find the maintainer of the linux_glide package from the
> FreeBSD ports.

That's me, at least I created it. But the linux_glide package is not
meant to be the universal glide for FreeBSD, see below.

> I am trying to spread news to people in the FreeBSD
> community about the recent opening of the Glide source.  3dfx has launched
> linux.3dfx.com as a central location for Linux related 3dfx conent.  It
> included the Glide source code, register level hardware specs, and developer
> resources.  It has exactly the kind of information required to create a
> native Glide library for FreeBSD.  Most of the announcemnts for this launch
> have been directed toward the linux community.  I am sending you this
> message in an attempt to see to it that the FreeBSD community hears the
> announcement as well.  If there is a more approriate place for me to send
> this message could you please point me to it.  Thank you.

The mailing list is perfect, I think.

You should be aware of our continuous need for a Linux binary shared
library in addition to a (now possible) native FreeBSD one.

For things like Quake with glide, we cannot use a native FreeBSD glide
shared library. Since the application is a Linux binary, all shared
libraries it uses must be Linux binaries as well. The port linux_mesa
(for Mesa 3.0) exists for the same reason. Although we have a native
Mesa, we need a Linux Mesa shared lib as well to use Linux binaries.

That means that while someone will probably create a native glide
version for FreeBSD (as ports/graphics/glide), we will continue to
have a ports/emulators/linux_glide.

While I created the linux_glide port, the FreeBSD community has other
members that are more likely to do the real source-level port. I will
probably keep an eye on the Linux binaries and make the wrapper for
Linux binaries on FreeBSD.

Let me say that I'm really glad about your decision to open up glide.
It makes life a lot easier, especially for FreeBSD people.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/