Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:22:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /ports/mbone/speakfreely - can't compile.

this should be posted to ports@freebsd.org, however

David G recently added a syscall to 3.0, 'sendfile' the point of it is to
send a file through a socket with as little overhead as possible.

This is really nifty but certain newer interfaces for freebsd syscalls and
freebsd specific library calls are really going to cause C namespace
problems.

I wish someone would take this into consideration when adding new
functionality.

man devstat:

     int getversion(void)
     int checkversion(void)

would it kill for a devstat_* prefix? i know you need to -ldevstat for
these problems to show up, but simply including socket.h causes sendfile
problems.

I'm just hoping to stir a discussion about this.  Who hasn't at one time
coded a program with 'sendfile' as an argument or function name?

Maybe at least more isolation, ala sendfile.h.

Anyhow, to answer your question, grep all the .c and .h files and replace
'sendfile' with 'sendfile_freely' or something.

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current