Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 08:13:42 +0100
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@netland.sub.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   list of supported notebooks

Nearly every day I read a request of someone asking a question like
"Does *BSD run on notebook brand *** model ***?" in one of the *BSD
news groups or mailing lists.

The usual reply is "1. Check the hardware specs of the notebook.
2. Check the list of supported hardware of a) *BSD, b) XFree86,
and c) whatsoever" mostly followed by a statement like "the driver
for *** is in current development".

It might be of help for the people who are asking for advice but
in the long run it is somewhat disappointing for those watching
what is going on.  Additionally, twice a year, the manufactures
put new models on the market.  Thus, who could keep up?

In my opinion it would be nice to have a list of "successful
installations" telling who runs which *BSD and which applications
on which brand and model of notebook and what he/she did to make
it work.  Although I am short of time and surely do lack some
expertise I would volunteer for compiling and posting such a list
on a regular basis if we could develop and agree on a form asking
the relevant questions which the notebook owners simply could fill
in.

Any suggestions?

-Bernd