Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:50:27 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Brian McDonald <brian@lustygrapes.net>
Cc:        Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd blocking => can't su to root

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 05:35:48PM +0000, David Malone wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 11:30:54AM -0500, Brian McDonald wrote:
> > I've seen this on 4.1-RELEASE boxes as well.  Was hoping it would just go
> > away when I upgrade them to 4.5.  I noticed it when it blocked other
> > processes waiting for syslog, such as named.
>
> To fix this there we'd have to decide what should happen when syslogd
> finds that some destination for messages becomes blocking. Syslogd
> could just drop messages which would cause blocking. Alternatively,
> syslogd could allow a certain amount of backup for which it would
> buffer.
>
> Also, it is bad that syslogd can stop other processes by not reading
> from its socket - it's possible we should change syslog(3) to timeout
> or not to block.

Actually, I've looked at the syslog(3) code and I think I understand
what is going on. Syslog(3) won't block while sending a message to
syslogd, but if it fails to do this then it tries to write the
message to /dev/console. I guess it is getting stuck here, in the
same way as syslogd is stuck.

If someone has a machine in this state then if they hit control-t
when su is stuck, then it should show up as stuck in state ttywai.
I guess a fix for this would be to make syslog(3) write to /dev/console
in a non-blocking way.

There is actually a comment saying "don't worry about blocking; if
the console blocks everything will". This doesn't seem to be true
if network services could keep running.

	David.