Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:47:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs and almost diskless question

I have recently set up a lab of 12 freebsd boxes and a central server.  I rely
on amd to mount the user's home on an as needed basis.

I did not install the sources on the clients as I thought it would be enough to
have them as a central resource and only nfs-mount them as neccessary.

I have not tried this but I cannot see why it should not work: Graft the
server's /usr/src onto a client, do a make buildworld and installworld. Umount
/usr/src and mount it on the next client, do only a make installworld hereafter.
This ought to be an easy way of keeping the clients STABLE.

Along the same vein: I do not like the idea of nfs-mounting /usr as many
commands would have to be fetched from the server, giving lots of network
traffic. But, should I, in the future want to upgrade, say, emacs, I do not like
the prospect of going to every single machine and install it. If said emacs was
accessed via nfs I would have to make the change in only one place. Has this
been done? What has to be mounted? What has not?

/usr/local/bin is an obvious mount candidate as is /usr/local/lib, perhaps even
the entire /usr/local? Are these sufficient?

Where do I go from here? It looks a bit like the diskless pages in the handbook,
where only / and swap is on the local harddisk and /usr is mounted from
elsewhere. But I don't relly want to mount all of /usr - or should I rather want
to do that? (perhaps it is the easy way out?)

Tips and tricks of the trade are much welcomed!

/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail