Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:10:25 +0200
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
To:        Mike Lempriere <mike@vintners.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster broken -- take 2

Mike Lempriere wrote:
> Hi folks -- sorry to be a nag, but my main production system is barely
> limping along on an old kernel with mismatched libraries.  I have no
> idea what else to do -- please help!
> ---
> I'm upgrading 5-stable (was at 5.5) to 6-stable, in preparation for
> 6-stable to 7-stable.
> No problems with cvsup, make buildworld, make installworld, make
> buildkernel, mergemaster -p.
> make installkernel, boot to single user.  Then mergemaster -- blammo:
What is your exact make sequences are?

I usually do this way:

# csup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
# cd /usr/src
here I usually softlink my kernel config file in /root directory to
appropriate architecture one and edit /etc/make.conf:
SUP_UPDATE=yes
SUPHOST=cvsup.no.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=/usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile
KERNCONF=KERNEL
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
KERNEL -> /root/kernel/KERNEL

# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# make buildworld
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster

NOTE: I do not reboot my system until everything is updated. Why it is
necessary to boot new kernel and then upgrade world is beyound me..YMMW