Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:36:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Frank ten Wolde <franky@pinewood.nl>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP4020 Writable CD-ROM failures - help requested

>>Or, are you pretty sure that your drive isn't overheating?  I've got a few
>>reports by now that indicate that the HP parts are fairly sensitive
>against >this.  (The usual PC power-supply fan is certainly insufficient.)
>
>There is a HP4020i sitting in the office next to me, in a standard ATX
>minitower with lousy cooling, and a PPro 200 and a 2GB Barracuda for extra
>heat.  The HP4020 sits right above the harddrive (floppy between) and there
>is no space for air-circulation above (another CD-drive there).  No problem
>whatsoever; I've run about 10 CDs in sequence on it without it overheating.
>YMMV.

We've got an HP4020i that sat in the PC case for a few months, we pounded
out about 40 CD's before it finally went south.  It was sitting right
above a 4GB Quantum Atlas, which runs hotter than a pistol.  We put it in
a nice fan-cooled case, but to no avail.  We get SCSI errors on it all the
time now.

Brian