Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:58:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dpilgrim@uswest.net (Nocturne)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Active advocacy [Was: Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?]

> "John S. Dyson" wrote:
> > FYI, my Dad just asked about Linux, and I explained that
> > it was like FreeBSD (that I used to work on), and had to
> > suggest that since his friends are most likely going to
> > run Linux, that he might consider it also.  This sickened
> > me, but makes the Linux decision almost like the Windows
> > decision of past days.  I explained the license issue to
> > him, and he agrees that GPL is a mess -- but I still claim
> > that Linux is still a better choice for him :-(.  FreeBSD
> > *should* have been a better choice...
>
> You should have recommended FreeBSD, and when his friends start
> asking, try to get them to switch.  Your actions follow suit
> with the lack of advocacy you're complaining about.  Sheeple
> logic doesn't work.

I care more about my Dad not getting frustrated than I do
about FreeBSD.  Maybe he doesn't want to be a pioneer (which
he doesn't.)  Each problem needs a different solution, and
there are still cases where I would tell a friend to use
WinNT, because I care about them.  To me, it is an issue of
honesty, and support.

> In this past week I've gotten two people to try FreeBSD, one is
> a newbie to computing (a mind untarnished by MS BS) and the other
> is a long time Linux user who's reasons for not switching were
> so that he could use software not written for FreeBSD, but I knew
> to work through the emulator.  They've both read the handbook and
> they've both ordered CDs from WC.  I even had, with their permission,
> majordomo send them help info and auth requests to be added to
> -newbies.

One has to create a solution for each person, and maybe FreeBSD
is better in your cited cases.  It is almost always better for me,
but I am atypical (in my opinion, FreeBSD is almost always better
for a programmer type.)  The world is generally not made up of
programmer types though, and the userbase will get what they want
no matter what transpires.  The ONLY reason why Linux might be
better than FreeBSD is in critical mass (and the side-effect of
having supported applications) or in advocacy.  Maybe there
is a higher proportion of BLIND advocacy in the Linux camp, and that
is where I cannot morally function well.  Well thought out advocacy
is something that I can participate in -- and it still hurts that
my Dad will likely be happier with Linux than with FreeBSD.  (Remember,
I have probably put 5-6 person years into FreeBSD, and have as much
invested as most people do.)  This is not an issue that I take
lightly.  I might boot FreeBSD for him, but his buddies will be running
Linux, and that is where he will end up, no matter what I say.

In my world, I have done what I have been able to do to move
FreeBSD forward technically.  It is time for those who CAN
advocate to move forward.  Also, it is important to quit being
snobbish about avoiding advocacy.  I am a technical person,
with the PR abilities of our favorite independent prosecutor.

> (I think this should also go to -advocacy, but I'm not going to
> cross post unless people think I should.)

I never know the right thing to do in that area... Someone will
likely redirect it.

John