Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:10:51 +0300
From:      Rein Kadastik <wigry@uninet.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No free space add after removing large file

Well not neccessarily. I hafve encountered the same problem on both
FreeBSD and Linux systems. The thing probably is that the filesystem is
not fully synced. There is  a sync command in unix and I have tried it
also. Sometimes it helps sometimes not. Usually there are two solutions:
reboot or just wait for a while until kernel corrects the free space
that is shown to the user. Anyway, I guess that it is some sort of a
buffering feature of the unix systems.

My regular situation for this kinda problem is when some filesystem is
full and I delete and delete files but no room will appear. After a
while, all the room becomes available again.

Maybe somebody more familiar with kernel and filesystems can give good
explanation to this feature (it definetly is not a bug as otherwise it
would have been corrected long time ago).

Rein